25 Killed After Volcano Eruption in Guatemala

Back to Article
Back to Article

Villagers are being forced to evacuate as the Fuego Volcano erupts. Photo from CNN.com.

Aislinn Connon, Editor-in-Chief

The United States is no stranger to volcanoes and volcanic eruptions, and the recent catastrophes in Hawaii have brought even more attention to this kind of danger. However, the United States is not the only country suffering from volcanic activity, and some nations have it much worse.

On Sunday, May 3, Guatemala’s Volcán de Fuego (which means “volcano of fire” in English) certainly lived up to its name when it erupted violently and killed 25 people. The dead includes at least two children who died from their burns while watching the eruption on a nearby bridge. It is believed up to 300 people are injured, but at the moment there is no definite number. This was the deadliest eruption of this volcano in 40 years, but the Fuego volcano did erupt earlier this year in March.

The volcano was said to have spouted a massive cloud of ash and smoke into the sky and triggered a 5-mile river of lava to begin flowing. It is unlike the continuous eruptions in Hawaii, and instead of one slow stream of lava, the volcano will expel lava at irregular and quick intervals. Scientists estimate that the lava may be traveling at speeds as fast as 10 meters per second. This type of eruption is referred to by geologists as a “pyroclastic flow.”

The capital of Guatemala, Guatemala City, was also slightly affected. Notable amounts of ash rained down on the city and its three million people, although it has not killed anyone and is not particularly life-threatening to those with healthy lungs and who take precautions not to directly breathe it in. Due to the danger ash poses to aircraft, Guatemala City’s only airport was forced to close. Guatemala City is approximately 27 miles away from the Fuego volcano.

Approximately 3,100 Guatemalans have been evacuated from the area surrounding the volcano, and due to extensive damage it is uncertain when it will be considered safe enough to return.

Unfortunately, as of June 4, the volcano continues to launch lava, gas, and dust into the air with no signs of stopping.

About the Writer
Aislinn Connon, Editor-in-Chief

Hello, my name is Aislinn Connon and I am the editor-in-chief for Palmer High School's Paw Print. This is my fourth year writing for the school newspaper...