The Algorithm for a Good Book

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Algorithm for a Good Book

Abigail McCoy, Staff Writer

The most popular books for Young Adult (YA) fiction are always the more open world/imaginary type of books. Open world books are where instead of just a strict plot that needs certain characters to exist, other subplots can be explored and be a whole story on their own and not at all interact with thee original plot. People enjoy being able to insert themselves within a story and create their own persona to go along with the plot line or story elements.

Books like The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling, Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan, Divergent by Veronica Roth, The Maze Runner by James Dashner, and even City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, have open type worlds. These are worlds that the reader can insert themselves into for their own pleasure.

With The Hunger Games, people can imagine themselves in the position of a tribute and play out in their mind what the reader personally would do; Harry Potter had the house systems where people could insert themselves as their own person and go through their Hogwarts years. The same goes for all of those other examples of young adult fiction.

People tend to swarm books in which they can insert themselves into and create their own story. That is why people also enjoy creating fanfiction of said books, in order to change it to what the reader felt like should’ve happened or in order to add specific elements such as themselves or other characters.

Readers always flock to stories in which they can self-insert themselves and humans as a whole will consistently enjoy this media as they crave representation. Books with open worlds are the key to a successful book series with a cult following as all the other books seem to have.

Abigail McCoy, Secretary

Hi! I’m Abigail McCoy. I am a sophomore and Paw Print’s secretary. I joined print journalism my freshman year because I greatly enjoy writing and getting...