The New Scheduling Method

Photo Credits to Harvard

Photo Credits to Harvard

Renee Chaples, Editor-in-Chief

Week after week, students anxiously await the release of their new schedules for their fall semesters, and week after week they are met with disappointment. Students had filled out their class request sheet only a few months into the Spring 2018 semester expecting to get the final product just before the ending of the school year. However, this plan did not work out.

For anyone unaware, the original method was to fill out the schedule for the upcoming school year approximately two weeks before the end of the prior school year. This gave the faculty the whole summer to organize and plan classes so the schedules can be released to students a few weeks before vacation ended. From then, the students can use their schedules to plan out what materials to bring to school, or how they may fix their schedules if there are any errors.

Each school year would dedicate the first five days for the students to rearrange and fix any issues they have with their set schedules. This method created a lot of issues since students would often push themselves too far, not enough, or would switch into overfilling classes just to be reunited with friends. Not only did this put pressure on the teachers who would have to re-adjust to the coming and going students, but it also caused a lot of drama within the student body.

With this in mind, the faculty sought out a solution, which in theory, made perfect sense and would ease up all the tension during those first five days of school. In practice, the plan clearly did not go so well. In an announcement during the early months of 2018, Principle Susan North told students that they will not be given the options to opt out of classes the following year since all the housekeeping will be handled before the end 2017-2018 school year. Despite filling out the schedules months in advance, the school failed to get them finished and out to the public for the end of school year, which meant the school’s students and faculty had no choice but to resort to the previous methods of sorting out the schedules.

Once schedules were released, the backlash from students was significantly worse than in previous years,  since the schools had nearly six months to create the schedules yet still managed to make atrocious errors. An anonymous senior, posted to social media stating, “Thank you Palmer High for ruining my schedule on my senior year.” Many students were outraged and most make their feelings very clear.

Some of the errors that the faculty made were giving students multiple classes in the same block, scheduling students for classes that did not exist, and forcing them into classes that were redundant for them to graduate. Another senior, Aislinn Connon, said, “They put me into a 20th Century US class, even though I had taken AP US history 2 just last year. Along with that, I was not even placed into the backup classes I had specifically asked for.”

Hopefully, the ongoing scheduling issues will be solved for future peers, but considering the other pressures put on to the faculty fixing the schedules may not be a top priority.

Renee Chaples, Editor-n-Chief

Hello! My name is Renee Chaples. I am the Editor-n-Chief for the fall semester since Aislinn will not be able to return to Paw Print until January. Alongside...