Athlete Spotlight

Back to Article
Back to Article

Athlete Spotlight

8th grader, Ava Theoclis, September 25, 2018

Abby Rathbone

Abby Rathbone

Abby Rathbone

Abby Rathbone, staff writer

Ava Theoclis is an eighth grader this year at Palmer High School. She attends school with her older brother Tanner, who is a ninth grader this year. Both Ava and Tanner play for the JV soccer teams this year. But along with soccer, Ava enjoys to play basketball and softball. She says that her favorite sport out of all has to be softball, but she said not to tell her other coaches.

During the fall, Theoclis plays inside mid, under JV soccer coach Celso Sandivol. When asked if she’d want to play a different position or would she stick with the same, she said that if she could choose to pick another position she would play offense. She loves scoring goals like her mother and father did in high school. Theoclis even has the same number that her mom had when she played soccer, number 17. When asked whom on the team she looked up to she said, “Jillian Lombardi and Emma Martin, because they’re really good, always postive, responsible, and really helpful”. Ava also said that she looked up to her coaches because they’re nice, funny, and experienced.

When winter comes around Ava plays outside wing for the JV basketball team. Theoclis follows in her father’s footsteps by participating in the sport. When asked why she enjoys playing basketball she said, “It’s really fun and you have to use your brain a lot”. Ava looks up to sophmore Jillian Lombardi and freshman Maddy Therault, because they’re very good at the sport, they’re positive, and their helpful. Ava says this is her least favorite sport to play but that’s not saying much considering how highly she thinks of the sport.

Come springtime, Ava can finally play the sport she’s been waiting for all year… softball. Theoclis plays catcher and pitcher for her JV team. Both of Ava’s parents still play softball which is why Ava is so into the sport. But along with looking up to her parents, Theoclis also looks up to her coach, ML, and players Jillian Lombardi and Megan Wilson. They’re really helpful, really good, and funny. When asked why she loves softball so much she said, “I use my head a lot, like it involves a lot of thinking. And I really like batting and the sound it makes when the ball hits the bat. I like when you get a really far hit”. This year Ava Theoclis is hoping to make varsity.

About the Contributor
Abby Rathbone, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Abby Rathbone, and this is my first year on Paw Print. I'm a sophomore in high school, and I joined Paw Print because I enjoy writing and...