The First Purge “movie review” SPOILERS INCLUDED

the cover of the movie The First Purge

the cover of the movie The First Purge

Tear Stallone, Staff Writer

One popular movie series, The Purge, released a new movie on July 4, 2018, called The First Purge. This movie was directed by Gerard McMurray. The production companies were Platinum Dunes and Blumhouse Productions. On that note, Blumhouse Productions assist in producing many horror films such as Get Out, Insidious, and Sinister. The music was put together by Kevin Lax and James DeMonaco was the writer of the movie.

Even though this is not the first movie in the series of The Purge, This movie was created to show the origins of the experiment and how it was conducted the very first time. The experiment (the Purge) was made to push the crime rate down to one percent for the rest of the year, so the founding fathers of America gave American citizens of Staten Island, New York the ability to commit any form of crime for 12 hours.  This was a sociological experiment for people who are angry, to release their anger one day out of the year ad so they will not have to do it the rest of the year, and it would bring the crime rate down.

Although categorized as a horror movie, there were no jump scares or gory scenes. The movie was more based around political facts to show a bigger picture on how messed up the purge actually is. The movie only has a maximum of two jump scares and more shooting than actual torture or brutal killing than the other movies in the purge series.

As far as actors go, they were great. I love how this movie showed the problems of the minority without really taking the purpose out of The Purge and the actors helped with that a lot. Y’lan Noel who played Dimitri in the film, showed how much he cares about the place he has grown up in. The NFFA, the company who conducted the experiment, wanted to kill off all the minority so they did not have to take care of them. But, Dimitri showed how much he cared about his city, since he said in the beginning that he did not want to purge because he was a drug dealer and was afraid of losing his workers and money. He did an outstanding job of showing that no matter what, he will fight for the city he loves and the people who live in it. Lex Scott Davis, the woman who played Nya in the movie, did an outstanding job as well, showing how much certain decisions that the government makes affects the people by protesting against The Purge. At first, she disliked Dimitri because of all the gang affiliation he was in and how he was inconsiderate in the beginning. Lex Scott Davis did an amazing job portraying Nya because Nya always had to stay true to herself and helped when it was needed.

The soundtrack was great considering it featured  new artists in the soundtrack such as Rich The Kid and Rae Sremmurd. It was very relevant to who the people were and their personalities. For example, when Dimitri and Nya walked into Dimitri’s office with his two workers counting his money, the song Mo Bamba by Sheck Wes played in the background. Also, when the purge started, there were several block parties and one of them had the song Plug Walk by Rich The Kid blasting. Both of these songs are popular today and it made the movie ten times better and more realistic because sometimes when movies have music playing in the background, the music is not that good and it takes away from the movie.                                                                                                                                                                                   

The message of this movie is to show that The Purge was supposed to happen this one time in the movie and that is all. The NFFA always wanted success and when everything was not going right with the experiment, the head of the NFFA sent people to kill the minority people who were hiding in their apartments or churches. Nobody was committing any crimes, like the physiologists predicted they would have, and the head of the NFFA wanted people to commit crimes because they spent money on the purge and if it was not a success it would make them look bad. In the beginning, only a minimum of three people wanted to kill and everyone else wanted money because they were being bribed to participate in the purge for more money. But the idea is, in reality, people do not just kill because they are angry, they also do it because they have to. For example, Dimitri was a big time drug dealer of Staten island and he has to make decisions to keep him on top and if that means he has to kill people, then that is what has to happen. The crime rate will not go down because people are not going to be angry one day out of the whole year. People are still going to make bad decisions throughout the year and horrible acts will be done.  

In conclusion, I recommend this movie to anyone who likes a movie with a good message. In my opinion, the movie was outstanding and watching it again a second time made it even better. But if you are in search for a good horror film, then this is not the movie for you.

Tear Stallone, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Tear and I joined Paw Print this year because I like to write and discuss topics that interest me. I was introduced to Paw Print through...