The Paw Cast – October 19th, 2018

Welcome to the  Paw Cast, a digital news companion to the Paw Print. Today we will cover this week’s ALICE drill and school sports.

The Paw Cast airs Fridays over the course of the school year, covering school and local news, as well as topics suggested by you the viewer. To suggest topics, you can visit us during C block in lab 303 or email us at [email protected]

Hosts: Renee Chaples and Nicholas Silva

Field Reporter: Mahkayla Perrin

Additional Research: Abby Rathbone, Tear Stallone

Technical Support and Filming: Mr. Fleury

_______________________________________________________________________

Transcript

RC: Hello, and welcome to the Paw Cast, I’m your host Renee.

NS: And I’m Nicholas

RC: Today’s date is October 19th. To start us off you may have realized that we did not have an episode last week.

NS: Yes, for the immediate future we are following a bi-weekly schedule. Stay tuned to our website for more information as it becomes available.

RC: Alrighty, with that out of the way, we turn to our field Reporter, Mahkayla Perrin for a look at Palmer sports.

MP: As of last Friday Palmer celebrates the varsity football teams second consecutive win of the season. We wish them luck as the season ends off soon. Our resident field hockey team, due to the series of cancellations and delays, has had a game a day for the past week and it continues until the end of next week. While their standings may be low, the spirits are high and we wish them the best on their remaining games. In other sports news both the boys and girls soccer teams have been doing phenomenally in their leagues with a win almost every game. We from the paw print wish everyone a good end of fall sport season!

RC: Alongside all the sports activity, Palmer held the first alice of this year on Thursday october 18th. The ALICE  drill, which took place at 1 pm, featured some new changes that were deemed necessary by the school officials. Every ALICE drill is designed to cover a specific facet of the evacuation or safeguarding process, and this drill was designed to identify the predetermined meeting point for students and staff. Typically during a drill student will conjugate at the practice football field near Old Mill Pond, this time, for added realism students and faculty were expected to evacuate to the Divine Mercy Church. The evacuation was at the very end of the day, so student were picked up straight from the church to be taken home. There were many issues regarding sports and after schools activity however. Many after school club meetings were cancelled but fall sports had scheduled their pictures to be taken that same day. The school decided they will have a bus to come pick up all the student athletes in order to take them back to schools. Expect more development on this story soon.

NS: Now to an alarming issue, this year, cases of the west nile virus has been at an all time high compared to last year’s reports. In the U.S, a total of 48 states and the district of columbia have experienced cases with the West Nile virus in 2018. This disease has been shown to infect humans, birds, and mosquitoes. Overall, there has been 1,611 cases so far this year, with 8 deaths in Massachusetts contributed to the virus. This terrible virus currently has no treatment, but in the more common, mild cases the disease will fade away on its own. Symptoms are rare, but can include fever, headache, neck stiffness, and muscle weakness. Recovery for West nile can take up to several weeks or months and some cases the virus will cause permanent nervous system damage; only 1 out of 10 victims die from the damage. This year the threat of contracting the disease is decreasing as the colder weather arrives, but for next year, make sure to use bug spray and avoid exposed skin when outside, as the virus appears to be more prevalent every year.

RC: Also last Thursday, October 11, was national coming out day is a yearly celebration for anyone involved in the LGBT groups.Thirty years ago on that day marks the March on Washington of 1987 which protesters stood out for rights the Community. To celebrate, paw print has asked members of the PHS GSA  to join us on the paw print and speak about their experiences as a member of the LGBT community.

{Video of GSA members}

NS: Before we close off, we would like to thank all those who participated in this year’s beautiful week and thank you for joining us in this week’s installment of the Paw Cast.

RC: Do you want to be a part of the Paw Cast? Come see us down in lab 303 during c block for more information and we will see you next time.