Goosebumps 2: Movie Review

Renee Chaples, Editor and Chief

Directed by Ari Sandel, Goosebumps 2 is based off the well-known horror book series by R.L Stine, and a sequel to Rob Lettermen’s Goosebumps released back in 2015. Goosebumps 2 was not well-received by critics being given a 48% from rotten tomatoes. A major downfall for the sequel was that it lacked any elements of a normal movie sequel. The movie featured and entirely new cast with the exception of Jack Black starring as R.L Stine, and a totally different story line than the first movie.

In the last movie, the viewer is introduced to Zach Cooper, a teenage boy who recently lost his father. Due to the family tragic the Cooper family was forced to relocate and as a result, Cooper met his new next door neighbor, his mysterious love interest Hannah. Hannah’s highly overprotective father causes some tension between the two new friends and in some cases, Cooper fears that Hannah is in danger because of her father. In the sequel, main character Zach is replaced by Madison Iseman playing Sarah. Sarah is a struggling writer who is placed in charge of her brother Sonny (Jeremy Ray Taylor) and his friend Sam (Caleel Harris) while their mother had to work late Halloween night. Sonny and Sam offer a trash collecting service to their neighborhood and come across an unfinished R.L. Stine book which unleashes a whole variety of evil into their world. Many are upset that the movie takes place in a seemingly new reality with only R.L. Stine hinting at the prequel in some short dialogue. After the ending of the first movie it was expected that this would be a continuation but many were let down.

Despite that the movie was very heartwarming and funny. The light humor would often eliminate any fear element and the effects of the movie were very interesting to see. I personally have never been a fan of the character Slappy although he is an iconic role in Stine’s books and in the Goosebumps movies. I find him very obnoxious and I wished that the movie based the main antagonist around a new character since the last movie had already used him as the mastermind. If the director had no intentions of continuing the story of Zach, then it would’ve been nice to at least have a refreshing plot concept instead of repeating the “Slappy appears and causes utter chaos” plot from the previous movie. Other than that, Goosebumps 2 would be a perfect movie to bring younger kids to see to celebrate the spooky fall season or for anyone who is a fan of the author R.L. Stine’s original works.  

Renee Chaples, Editor-n-Chief

Hello! My name is Renee Chaples. I am the Editor-n-Chief for the fall semester since Aislinn will not be able to return to Paw Print until January. Alongside...