Winters Here

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winters Here

Abby Rathbone, staff writer

Winters Here

With the first snow of the season starting just before Thanksgiving this year, the winter season came quick. Students are looking forward to the quickly approaching winter sports season. However, the new sports season is also joined with the upcoming Christmas season. Since Halloween, stores have been advertising for Christmas deals on presents, decorations and foods.

Despite the lack of teams, the winter sports season is the most popular for both athletes and fans.The student section for the basketball games is always packed, the concession stand sells out, and the students love chanting for the teams. Current junior Taylor Warren stated, “I just love going to the games with my friends because we always get really into it,” and Girls Varsity player Jillian Lombardi said, “I’m looking forward to leading my team to playoffs, and states!” She’s not the only one, many other students have expressed their excitement for the upcoming winter sport season, particularly for basketball.

In the process of the winter season beginning, it was not long after Halloween that Christmas commercials began airing. Many of these advertisements included  presents for children such as Hatchimals, the Chow Crown Game, Crayola Products, and many more. Christmas commercials are focused on boasting sale, in what is the most busy season for all stores especially places like Target, Kohls, Macy’s, that are the most known for their products ranging in kids toys to gift ideas for older demographics. Along with that the Christmas season is also a big boost for larger name brands, especially with the ever-evolving fashion industries like American Eagle, Aeropostale, and Calvin Klein.

Alongside Christmas being on the rise, the winter season brings in other notable holidays such as Hanukkah, New Years, and Kwanzaa. Hanukkah begins on the second of December and runs until December tenth. Some iconic Hanukkah traditions include, lighting candles on the Menorah each night, playing with dreidels, and cooking latkes. Another holiday celebrated in the winter season is Kwanzaa which starts on December twenty-sixth and runs until January first. The colors of Kwanzaa are red, black and green which represent unity among African people all around the world. Throughout the week people celebrate and eat, but the main feast takes place on December thirty-first. Winter is one of the most tradition packed seasons of the year and many look forward for it to officially start.

About the Writer
Abby Rathbone, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Abby Rathbone, and this is my first year on Paw Print. I'm a sophomore in high school, and I joined Paw Print because I enjoy writing and...