Interviews: A Vital Part of Applying to College

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo credit to Linda.com

Photo credit to Linda.com

Photo credit to Linda.com

Renee Chaples, Editor in Chief

A highly exaggerated aspect of applying to college is the college essay, although this is somewhat true, another vital part of applying is an interview, or at least visiting the college. The college essay is meant to be a window into who the applying student is as a person. However, the issue with this is, anyone can write an amazing essay. Writing may come more naturally to some than others, but eventually, everyone is capable of creating a really well-written essay. So what is more effective in determining someone’s personality than by their writing- meeting them.

From what I’ve experienced, interviews usually happen during school tours. First, there will be the actual tour of the college, and then a chance to sit down with the admissions counselor to have a chat and get any remaining questions answered. Although it may not seem like a formal interview this little chat really shows your character to who will be reviewing the application. It is important to be respectful and show true character. Proving that you can be an asset to the college will not only be a great method of getting in, but it will also give you increased chances of getting a scholarship. This is mainly because the admissions counselor can determine if you will have a great chance of succeeding and will increase the college overall for future students. However, showing off your uniqueness can easily turn to bragging which could prove to be very costly.

There is nothing wrong with discussing your academic achievements and extra-curricular, however, comparing your achievements to other students is not acceptable. Not only does this belittle someone else but it shows that your character lacks the ability to be humble. You can achieve great things without rubbing that in someone else’s face. Saying things like “I’m the smartest in my grade,” and “I’m the best on my team,” are not only inaccurate statements but they are also rude, and will not impress anyone. Instead of claiming to be great, prove that greatness, “I was valedictorian,” and, “I won most valued player on my team,” are much nicer alternatives, and will get the attention of your college. Also, avoid listing achievements, they really should only be mentioned if they are relevant to the topic of conversation. Throwing in the fact that you were class president two years in a row during a conversation about housing is not only random, but it also will get easily looked over.

One huge issue with interviews is how easy it is to be nervous during them, however, chances are you will not even know you’re being interviewed. Alongside that, bringing along close family members who can talk on the behalf of your character will really help with lighting the mood and avoiding bragging.  

About the Writer
Renee Chaples, Editor-n-Chief

Hello! My name is Renee Chaples. I am the Curator of the Void which is our biweekly talk show. Alongside overseeing the Void, I help keep the class running...