New Rides Teased and More Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge News

Back to Article
Back to Article

Concept art of the Millennium Falcon in Galaxy's Edge.

Photo Credit to Disney

Photo Credit to Disney

Photo Credit to Disney

Nicholas Silva, Layout Editor

Fans of Star Wars rejoice! Over the past few months, Disney has been releasing a steady trickle of information related to their next major attraction, Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge. First rumored around 2012 when Disney bought Lucasfilm, Galaxy’s Edge has been stirring excitement -and some concern- amongst fans of the meta. Now, as two rides have been revealed and much more information released, it is completely clear that the theme park will deliver far more than anyone had imagined.

Nestled down the road from Star Tours in Disney’s Hollywood Studios -with another location in California’s Disneyland- the park will cover an expansive 14-acre swath of previously unused land in what is essentially the city of Disney -30,000 acres of Florida territory. The area, revealed over the summer as Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu (in the lore), will feature restaurants, shops, and even a fully immersive Star Wars themed hotel/interactive adventure.

The hotel, yet unnamed, will be made to feel like a luxury star yacht or another type of exclusive starship. It will utilize screens as windows to project lifelike detail of the depths of space. In short, if you pay the exorbitant price tag, you become a part of a Star Wars adventure for a couple of days, or however long the experience turns out to be. According to  Scott Trowbridge, Portfolio Creative Executive, Walt Disney Imagineering, “From the moment you board your launch pod, it’s a fully-immersive, multi-day Star Wars adventure aboard a luxury starship complete with high-end dining, space-view cabins and all of the exciting action you would expect from an authentic Star Wars experience.” It would appear that they have “spared no expense” in the words of Jurassic Park’s John Hammond. Let’s hope things don’t go bad here like in that particular park.

Now to the actual rides. Very little is known about them at present, but the names and a brief teaser have just been released this week by Bob Chapek, chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products. First, and what many fans are most excited for, is Millenium Falcon: Smugglers Run. This ride -according to a statement- “Puts guests behind the controls of the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy in one of three unique flight crew roles.” For anyone familiar with Epcot’s Mission: SPACE, it would appear that Smugglers Run will borrow some of that ride’s mechanics. It will likely feature a digital display, mechanisms to simulate crashes, acceleration, and other spacecraft sensations, as well as -hopefully- a fully interactive cockpit.

The second ride is perhaps ever so slightly more interesting. Named Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, this ride claims to place guests aboard a Star Destroyer (Resurgent Class by the looks of the teaser) during a battle between the First Order and the Resistance. At this time nothing is very clear. Will it be VR or all live action? Will the guest get to play either side or does it in true Disney form restrict everyone into being a good guy? When does this take place in the Star Wars timeline? Hopefully, these questions and more will be cleared up soon, with the opening date approaching fast, but not quite fast enough.

The park itself looks amazing. It will feature a very authentically Star Wars port town, like Mos Eisley on Tatooine, dotted with shops, droids, and actors. There will be a plethora of life-sized Star Wars ships and vehicles, from a fleet of X-Wings to AT-AT walkers, and of course the Millenium Falcon itself. Who knows what the shops will provide -be it just normal Star Wars merchandise or something unique and exclusive- however, fans will be delighted to hear that one or more of the dining locations will serve iconic blue milk.

Finally, it has been announced that legendary composer John Williams is working on music for Galaxy’s Edge. His iconic music is an important part of the Star Wars atmosphere, and so it is amazing that Disney is taking the time to go to the master and not just one of their anthology (Rogue One, Solo) composers, as talented as they may be. The sweeping tones of William’s music will be a pleasant backdrop, whether it is used on the streets or on the rides.

In all, Galaxy’s Edge seems to be shaping up to a magnificent attraction. It will open in Disneyland in summer 2019, and in Walt Disney World in fall of 2019 since it has suffered from construction delays. Batuu and Black Spire Outpost have also been worked into the Star Wars canon, adding an even more authentic feel. Galaxy’s Edge is no longer just a theme park, thanks to the works of the Lucasfilm Story Group through the novel Thrawn: Alliances and a reference in Solo, it is now a part of the lore, and a unique chance for fans to really step into the world of their dreams in a way that had only ever been imagined.

Nicholas Silva, Layout Editor

I am sixteen years old, a sophomore, and serve as the layout editor for the Paw Print website in addition to being a content writer. I joined Paw Print...