The Paw Cast – November 28th, 2018

Welcome to the  Paw Cast, a digital news companion to the Paw Print. Today we will cover sports and the California fires.

The Paw Cast airs Fridays over the course of the school year, covering school and local news, as well as topics suggested by you the viewer. To suggest topics, you can visit us during C block in lab 303 or email us at [email protected]

Hosts: Renee Chaples and Nicholas Silva

Sports Correspondent: Abby McCoy

Additional Research: Mahkayla Perrin

Technical Support and Filming: Mr. Fleury

_______________________________________________________________________

Transcript

RC: Hello, and welcome to the Paw Cast. I’m your host Renee.

NS: and I’m Nick.

RC: Today is November 30th, 2018 to start us off Abby McCoy will discuss the latest news in Palmer High Sports.

AM: the football team and Cheerleaders have ended off their fall season this past Thanksgiving in the annual Palmer vs Ludlow game. Unfortunately, due to temperatures reaching as low as 30 degrees the Ludlow band and cheerleaders were unable to join their football team. The low temperatures posed improper conditions for the band’s instruments. However, Palmer’s band and majorettes managed to make it through their halftime and the game’s first two quarters before having to call it quits. The cheerleaders, although they stayed for the whole game, stopped cheering at halftime and opted for just giving spirit for the remaining quarters. The Palmer team lost to Ludlow 33 to 0.

NS: Also, all athletes their parents are now required to complete the NFHS Concussion Course. This forty-five minutes long online test is designed to instruct athletes and their parents the basics of concussions, and how to identify them. If any athletes do not complete the test, they cannot participate in practices or games until it is completed. Many issues have been raised with the test. Busy schedules of students and parents restrict the ability to complete the test, and many students are reporting having completed the test, but that it is not being recognized. Also, many have pointed out that the information is mostly common sense or topics covered by coaches or teachers, and offers no real benefit. Furthermore, the website is hard to navigate, and most athletes were not informed of the need to even complete the test -or that it existed- and were therefore forced to rush or miss out on practice. So again, all student-athletes and their parents must complete the NFHS Concussion Course, and there is a link to it on the Palmer Public Schools athletics page, or can be found on the NFHS Learning Center web page under ‘Order Course’ after signing up. Good luck.

RC: On on the topic of sports, the PHS majorettes have their very first competition this Saturday at Holyoke High School. The competition will be featuring team baton twirlers, soloist, and even a pom dance division. Since this is the majorettes very first time experiencing a competition, they will only be participating in the team competition, which will be at 9 am, right after the duet performances. This year, Holyoke High School will not only host a competition but also a pie-eating contest and an ugly sweater contest. The pie eating contest is $20 to enter but the sweater contest is free for both performers and spectators. It is free entry for friends and families of the majorette squad so anyone is welcome to come to support the team.

MP: Bright Nights is a holiday drive through lighting event which runs from Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day. It is New England’s largest holiday lighting display, and is filled with lighting displays such as reindeer, houses, and present-flinging elves. Bright Nights also features activities such as roll back night, supper with Santa, New Year’s Eve festivities and horse drawn wagon and carriage rides. Bright Nights has also held a 5k road race hosted by spirit of Springfield at Forest park on November 27, 2018.

NS: And with this concludes this installment of the Paw Cast.

RC: If you are interested in being featured on the next episode, please visit us in room 303 during C-block for more information. We will see you next time.