High School Advice

Laura L. Merwin / MassLive.com file

Lilly Fontaine, Staff Writer

High school can be hard, but for some it will be a walk in the park. It depends on the person and the advice given to them prior. Some want tips and tricks for high school while some just do not want to listen.

Many people think you should get all of your harder classes out of the way and have an easy senior year. Some people just do the absolute minimum to graduate, but it is better to take harder classes to push yourself and to prepare yourself for college. It’s not good to have the mindset of “all that matters is that I pass and nothing else,” because, really, you would just be setting up a harder future for yourself. However, getting all credits in the first three years and having an easy senior year could help a lot with mental health, and it provides more time to think about the future than writing a history report would.

Doing what interests you is one of the most important things to do if you want to have a nice high school experience. Avoid joining a class, club, or sport just because a friend is doing it. When people join something just to be with a friend, it will annoy not only themselves but the team members, coach, or teachers. They would only be putting in half the effort they would if they enjoyed the activity or class, and this would be the same thing happening to you if a friend was your sole motivation. Doing what you want to do is the most important thing when choosing classes or extracurricular activities. Some people may judge you for what you decide to do, but it doesn’t matter what they think so long as you are happy doing it.

It’s beneficial to prepare for the future, but you don’t have to plan every second of your life out ten years ahead of time. Some people go into high school knowing what they want out of life, but others have no idea and that is okay. Throughout high school, it is likely that things will change, while others might stick with what they said in the beginning of the year. Interests and people will change in high school and there is nothing wrong with that.

Being yourself is very important. It may seem corny and cliche, but it is always true. People are too scared to be themselves because they fear the judgment of peers. In twenty years, you won’t have to talk with or see them anymore. Many of them won’t even recognize you, will move away, or just won’t have a reason to come up and converse with you anyway. Just be yourself. It really doesn’t matter what people think of you as long as you are happy. High school will be better if you’re not a fake you.