Devastating Floods Take Over the United States Midwest

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Rock River crested its banks and floods Shore Drive, seen here on Saturday, March 16, 2019, from the Bauer Parkway bridge in Machesney Park, Ill. Many rivers and creeks in the Midwest are at record levels after days of snow and rain. (Scott P. Yates/Rockford Register Star via AP)

AP

AP

AP

Adela Storey

Within the past few weeks, the spring flooding season has attacked the American Midwest harder than anyone could have imagined. States like Iowa, Nebraska, and any other states bordering major rivers within the midwest have been swamped with aggressive flooding.

The rise of rivers is linked to melting snow from the “bomb cyclone” that occurred in early March. This later winter storm brought strong winds (up to 80mph in some areas), heavy snow, and also heavy rains to many locations in the Midwest and plains regions of the United States. Not only did the threat of the upcoming cyclone worry the people, there were also threats of tornados and large hail which sent everyone into panic. Snow from this recent disaster has begun to melt and run into rivers which is the cause for the flooding for now.

These floods have caused devastating conditions and has already done an estimated $3 billion in damage overall, along with causing 3 casualties and many states to begin evacuation to safe zones.

So far, Nebraska has suffered the most damage when compared to other states. In Nebraska alone, $1 billion of damage has been done (roads, public works, vehicles, etc.), more than 2,000 homes have been lost, and 340 businesses have been completely destroyed.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has put out a statement that reports flooding will continue to worsen as days go on, and the floods are very likely to carry through May. Ed Clark, director of NOAA’s Alabama unit has stated, “This is shaping up to be a potentially unprecedented flood season, with more than 200 million people at risk for flooding in their communities,” meaning many more communities are still at risk within the coming months.

Many meteorologists believe this sudden shift has been a product of climate change, and the summer will be a rainy one because of climate change as well. They advise to be safe and carry an umbrella.

About the Writer
Adela Storey, Staff Writer

I’m Adela Storey, a staff writer for the Palmer Pawprint. I joined Pawprint my sophomore year because of my love for writing. During that time I helped...