Pollen Season Is Continuing to Get Worse

Back to Article
Back to Article

Desert Candle (Caulanthus inflatus), Tansy Phacelia (Phacelia tanacetifolia), Hillside Daisy (Mono Lanceolat)   2017 ÒSuper BloomÓ Wildflowers, Carrizo Plain National Monument, San Luis Obispo County
California, USA. Rob Badger

Desert Candle (Caulanthus inflatus), Tansy Phacelia (Phacelia tanacetifolia), Hillside Daisy (Mono Lanceolat) 2017 ÒSuper BloomÓ Wildflowers, Carrizo Plain National Monument, San Luis Obispo County California, USA. Rob Badger

© Rob Badger 2017 [email protected]

© Rob Badger 2017 [email protected]

© Rob Badger 2017 [email protected]

Adela Storey

Early spring: the season of runny noses and itchy throats. Nobody with allergies is ever excited to move into this time of year due to these common struggles. In the past few years, some people have suspected that the seasons are slowly getting worse for people who suffer seasonal allergies, but recently Vox.com has stated that the pollen is progressively worsening through time.

States like Georgia and Tennessee have already been warned with what comedians are calling the “pollen vortex” due to the rising concern for this year’s spring. This surge of pollen has a common characteristic with many other problems in the world, which is climate change.

Climate change is suspected to be the reason that ragweed blooming season has been extended to more than 25 days in some areas, and around 15 days in others. However, ragweed isn’t the only plant providing pollen because of the increase in temperature; every plant that flowers in the spring has been studied and shown to have a higher pollen count compared to years prior.

As of the spring of 2019, around 50 million Americans have seasonal allergies, but that number is expected to rise along with pollen count in the coming years. Doctors and scientists have concluded that pollen is becoming impossible to avoid because of the influx, and they expect that the medical industry will be spending millions more on antihistamines for those who take medication for seasonal problems.

Even though it may seem bad right now, many experts warn that it will get worse in the next few years, but there has been no development of new drugs to help treat symptoms. Pollen will continue to be produced, and more Americans will get sick with every year that passes unless the world does something about global warming.

About the Writer
Adela Storey, Staff Writer

I’m Adela Storey, a staff writer for the Palmer Pawprint. I joined Pawprint my sophomore year because of my love for writing. During that time I helped...