Mental Health Awareness Month

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mental Health Awareness Month

Mental Health Awareness Month

Mental Health Awareness Month

Mental Health Awareness Month

Mental Health Awareness Month

Autumn Harnois, Staff Writer

Since 1949, the month of May has been Mental Health Awareness month, to raise both importance and to stop the stigma around mental health. Many people aren’t willing to discuss mental health and the baggage that comes with it, causing people who deal with mental illness to feel all alone. When people feel alone they often isolate themselves, which can lead to more mental health issues, them harming themselves, or even suicide.

The mental well-being of people is a very important issue that many people just brush off because it makes them uncomfortable, but most of the time talking about these issues helps other people get through things. Sometimes talking about your problems can make you feel better or at least let you feel like you have someone that cares about you. Approximately 1 in 5 adults in the U.S., which equates to 43.8 million people, have struggled with a mental illness in the past year. Not only that, but 1 in 25 adults, which is 9.8 million people, suffer from a serious mental illness that interferes with their everyday life. That means that almost everyone in the U.S. knows someone who suffers from a mental illness. If every person who knows someone that suffers from an illness said something nice to them or took the time to talk about it with them, they could save a life.

The MHA, Mental Health America, is a website and a group that dedicates their time and money to helping those who are suffering. They have a multitude of categories on their website that deal with different issues and ways to help; some examples would include but would not be limited to: life on campus, minority mental health, and workplace wellness. Some methods the website suggests are animal companionship, work-life balance, humor, and having social connections.

When people are having a difficult time they can visit this free website and find healthy methods to help them- but remember that the most effective way to feeling better is to talk to  people about your problems and to not bottle them up.