National Gun Control Walkout

Arkansas Students Punished via Paddling

Palmer+High+Students+all+stand+together+in+a+heart+formation+in+support+of+the+victims+at+Florida+High+School+March+14th%2C+2018.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

National Gun Control Walkout

Palmer High Students all stand together in a heart formation in support of the victims at Florida High School March 14th, 2018.

Palmer Schools

Palmer Schools

Palmer Schools

Renee Chaples, Secretary

On February 14, 2018 Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida experienced a tragic shooting, resulting in the loss of 17 students and faculty. Nineteen-year-old Nikolas Cruz brought in an AR-15 and used it to shoot anyone he came across in the hallways. Students as young as fourteen years old were killed. This incident brought back one of the most heated debates in American society: gun control.

After the event, a post became viral from an anonymous Instagram user  about having a national school walk out on March 14th, at ten am, a month after the shooting. Many schools participated in the walkout, such as Granada Hills Charter High School in LA all the way to LaGuardia High School in New York. For 17 minutes students rallied outside their schools with signs and posters as a memorial for the losses in Florida and as a protest for gun control.

However,  school authorities were not all so lenient for students walking out during classes, even though it was for something they strongly supported. In Greenbrier Public High School Arkansas, three students were punished with physical force for participating in the walkout. According to USA Today, “Public school officials in a rural Arkansas district allegedly “swatted” three students with a paddle.” Although most consider such actions to be cruel and inhumane, no further action has been taken in regard to disciplining the school officials. According to the superintendent of the schools, “paddling” as they call it, is a legit punishment for students. The superintendent stated that the students were given the option to be punished via the paddle or in-school suspension. The students said that, “the paddling was not dealt with malice or cruelty, however corporal punishments have no place in school environments.” It has not been made clear as to why the students would choose paddling over an in-school suspension.

The tragedy that was the Florida shooting has brought more issues to light, regarding cruel student punishments and the most notable-gun control debate. Although the three students from Greenbrier have stated that the paddling did not actually cause them physical pain, they and many more hope to see an end to the unlawful punishment. Along with this, all students nationally who participated in the walkout hope to see an end to gun violence and better gun control in this country. However, students have not backed down from the battle for gun control and already have organized another protest called “March for Life” where they plan to rally together and demand for revisions to be made to the 2nd amendment.

Sources:

Hafner, Josh. “Students Paddle by School Staff after Participating in School

Walkout.” USA Today, 19 Mar. 2018. USA Today, www.usatoday.com/story/news/

nation-now/2018/03/19/

students-paddled-public-school-staff-after-participating-walkout-arkansas/

439141002/. Accessed 20 Mar. 2018.

About the Writer
Renee Chaples, Editor-n-Chief

Hello! My name is Renee Chaples. I am the Curator of the Void which is our biweekly talk show. Alongside overseeing the Void, I help keep the class running...