My Experiences at Pax East

Different Panels for the games being demonstrated at April 2018 Pax East

Gabriel Dupuis

Gabriel Dupuis

Renee Chaples, Secretary

Pax East is a well-known gaming convention located in the Boston Conventional and Educational Center in downtown Boston, Massachusetts. People from all over the world come together to indulge in one common interest: their love of games. Card games, video games, and board games are all presented at different panels throughout the large building.

In October of 2017, a good friend of mine named Gabriel Dupuis surprised me with two tickets to go to Pax on Sunday April 8th. The convention usually lasts around four days, two of which are always weekend days.  Having no prior experience with the convention I had no idea what to expect. However, despite my anxiousness, I knew no matter what I would have an amazing time. I wasn’t too sure what to bring along with me, but just bringing my phone, a charger, my wallet, some on hand cash, a jacket, and headphones was enough for me to comfortably enjoy my first time at Pax East.

I was introduced to video games by my father, and my mother brought board games into my life during my early childhood. Often times my family had  “family game” night where we would spend a night with music, snacks, and games and just have a good time. This set the stage for my growing love of games in all formats. Also, being deeply involved in the gaming community made so I felt more comfortable to be surrounded by so many people since they all appreciated games like I do.

During the convention, I was given tons of free trinkets from the different panels. The most common gift to recieve is the numerous collectable buttons from each stand demonstrating their game. I also received a pop-socket and two posters for free. The posters, which were made around two of my favorite games, Bendy and The Ink Machine, and Sally Face, got signed by the original creators of the games who I also had the opportunity to meet. Along with the free gifts there are also plenty of little shops to purchase merchandise for different game franchises. I bought four slime rancher pins from one of the shops which went along with my growing button collection.

Overall, going to Pax East was an amazing and new experience that I look forward to attending again someday. The convention has opened up my mind to new games and I made new friends during my time.

Renee Chaples, Editor-n-Chief

Hello! My name is Renee Chaples. I am the Editor-n-Chief for the fall semester since Aislinn will not be able to return to Paw Print until January. Alongside...