Falling in Love According to Science

Back to Article
Back to Article

Falling in Love According to Science

Adela Storey, Staff Writer

Most people don’t realize they are falling in love until it becomes the only thing on your mind. Falling in love is regarded as a great feeling, all the good days seem a little better and bad days seem more bearable. Although most people just accept falling in love as it is, there are many scientific studies that show a change in brain functions that can be directly related to the feelings experienced when falling in love.

One study by PhychologyToday says that in the beginning stages of love, or ‘the honeymoon phase’ can be attributed to a rush of the chemical dopamine within the brain. Dopamine is responsible for changing moods and emotions, which leads to feeling happy and excited. Along with dopamine being released, norepinephrine and phenylethylamine (both neurotransmitters) help to stimulate other aspects. Norepinephrine is considered a ‘stimulant’ due to the evidence that it can reduce amounts of sleep, aid in the recognition of smaller details, feel alert, and become focused on their significant other. According to NaturoDoc, Phenylethylamine (PEA) “has unique rapid uplifting effects on mood, mental activity, attention, motivation, alertness, creativity, awareness, energy, stamina, physical activity, and sensory perceptions.” as well as increasing levels of dopamine. If Phenylethylamine levels begin to drop, relationships can start to fall apart, and lead to feeling depressed.

Majority of people believe that high school relationships don’t last long after highschool, and there is also an explanation for this aspect. The end of highschool signals the beginning for the future, meaning jobs, further schooling, or other commitments. The thought of an uncertain future puts stress on relationships and causes infatuation to decrease. Both parties worry about how they will make it through, until the constant anxiety eventually breaks the relationship apart. Take love one step at a time and live in the present rather than worrying about the future.

Overall, love is a complex feeling created by our minds. Although keeping a relationship through ups and downs is difficult, it helps to generate healthy bonds and a view on how a relationship should be.

About the Writer
Adela Storey, Staff Writer

I’m Adela Storey, a staff writer for the Palmer Pawprint. I joined Pawprint my sophomore because of my love for writing. During that time I helped get...